Categories: SALON

SALON: JANUARY 24, 2024 “The Transgender Experience: In Their Own Words” (Host: Helen Brandt)

A Pew research survey from 2022 found that 1.6% of U.S. adults are transgender or non binary. That leaves 98.4% of us who have never had this experience.  Understanding the experience of a transgender individual can be challenging and has incited harsh attitudes, fears and attempts to control that population.  As Dr. Lou has reminded us, society changes when hearts and minds change.  In that vein, I’d like to offer glimpses into the transgender experience in their own words to deepen our understanding. I will pose the questions: What do you know about transgender lives and where does your information come from?  What feelings arise for you when you think about the concept of transgender and what do you do with those feelings?